7 September 2021
Minister for Primary Industries and Water
Delivering stronger borders to protect Tasmania
The Tasmanian Liberal Government is Securing Tasmania’s Future by investing in stronger borders and protecting Tasmania from biosecurity risks.
Our booming agriculture sector supports jobs and growth in rural and regional communities while underpinning our entire economy.
The Tasmanian Government is passionate about supporting Tasmanian businesses, families and communities, and providing the platform to help our State recover from COVID-19 stronger than ever.
We are delivering more than $3 million to improve our already strong biosecurity systems, including:
- $350,000 over four years to the TFGA to support enhanced on-farm biosecurity engagement within the industry and awareness of good on-farm biosecurity practices;
- $750,000 over two years for three additional biosecurity officers dedicated to Tasmania’s livestock sector to manage risks to animal welfare, market access, and biosecurity;
- $350,000 to make the King Island biosecurity officers full-time and permanent;
- $350,000 to make the Flinders Island biosecurity officers full-time and permanent;
- $360,000 over four years to support industry to improve livestock traceability, and enhance systems for primary produce traceability; and
- $980,000 to work with the Flinders Island Council on developing new veterinarian facilities and equipment to help attract a veterinarian to the Island.
The Tasmanian Government has a clear plan to have strong biosecurity borders to support our agricultural industry to grow the value of Tasmanian agricultural production to $10 billion by 2050.
More Media Releases from Guy Barnett
More Media Releases from the Minister for Primary Industries and Water